Required time 30 minutes
- 2 large pork sirloin steaks
- 3 tablespoons veal demiglaze
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Flaked sea salt
- Fine salt
- 6 Zespri® SunGold Kiwifruit
- 200g extra virgin olive oil
- 6 unpeeled garlic cloves
- 5g fresh rosemary
- Place the olive oil, the gently crushed garlic cloves and the rosemary in a saucepan, bring to 80º C and cook for 10 minutes. Add the peeled but still whole kiwifruit. Cook at 60º C for a further 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, cut away the fat and the excess tissue from the sirloin steaks, season with salt and pepper, cover in oil and brown on all sides in a large frying or griddle pan.
- Once the centre of the pork has reached 58º C and feels firm to the touch, remove from the heat and add the demiglaze (or any other reduced meat stock).
- Cut the meat into cubes and serve alongside the kiwifruit confit. Dress with the cooking juices and garnish with fresh rosemary.
It’s important to choose the right type of saucepan in which to cook the kiwifruit, making sure that they are covered throughout their cooking time. Also, make sure that you don’t move them too much so that they don’t fall apart.
If you can leave the kiwifruit to steep in the oil for a full 24 hours, they’ll absorb the flavour of the garlic and the rosemary far more.