Eating Zespri Kiwifruit regularly contributes to good digestive health. The fibre and actinidin content in Zespri Green Kiwifruit lies at the heart of Zespri Kiwifruit’s digestive benefits. This combination is responsible for all the beneficial effects on gastric and intestinal function.
How does Zespri kiwifruit work on digestion?
Fibre in kiwifruit is made up of pectins, hemicelluloses and celluloses, which give it certain properties, such as the ability to retain water and form gels. It can have a significant effect on digestion:
- Reducing the glucose absorption rate, so that the GI is lowered and blood sugar levels remain stable
- Increasing the sense of fullness, since the fibre acts to increase viscosity and slow gastric emptying
- Increasing the frequency of bowel movements
- Reducing the sensation of bloatedness
- Reducing the time of intestinal transit
Actinidin is a protease found in kiwifruit, which breaks down proteins and facilitates gastric digestion. This natural enzyme has the ability to break-down a wide range of food proteins more completely and faster than the digestive enzymes can do on their own. Actinidin was most effective on proteins found in beef and chicken, fish, pulses and cereals (gluten and soya protein isolate), and dairy products such as milk, cottage cheese and yogurt.
The digestive benefits of actinidin:
- Improves the digestion of proteins by reducing the sensation of heaviness associated with protein-rich foods
- Improves the absorption of proteins
- Improves digestive comfort
Thanks to its fibre and actinidin content and its positive effects on gastric and intestinal digestion, Zespri Green Kiwifruit has clear benefits for digestive health